REACHING OUT TO OUR COMMUNITYSister Parish in Peru
The friars of Holy Name Province (HNP) are responsible for a parish, Parraquia Santa Ana, south of the city of Lima. They are also responsible for a large “pastoral zone” in the Lurin Valley still further south. Additionally, they staff a mission station in Satipo to the east across the Andes in Amazonia.
Video from previous parish missions:
Next meeting will be in November – December. Check back for update.
HNPToday Articles about the St Francis Sister Parish Ministry
History of Sister Parish Ministry
View pictures from our previous parish missions to Peru!
Sister Parish Collection (Oct 22): Thank you for your support of the Annual Sister Parish Collection. The proceeds will be used as follows:
- Santa Ana: Help Fr Tony to add a grade level a year to High School (8th grade in March 2018) and begin construction of new high school building.
- Lurin Valley: Help Fr Carlos to build a home in Manchay for 20 plus abandoned / orphaned children.
Donations of any amount are appreciated. Envelopes can be found on the bulletin board on your right as you leave church. Every penny goes directly to our Sister Parishes in Lima.
Mission 2018 Applications Being Accepted: Did you know since March 2007 85 parishioners have journeyed on a “mission” to our Sister Parishes? Through these visits, St. Francis has developed bonds of faith and friendship with the parishioners of Santa Ana and the Lurin Valley. Would you consider joining the Parish Mission to Peru in 2018? Information and applications are available under the tab on the left and on the church bulletin board.
HNP Today Articles about the St Francis Sister Parish Ministry: See tab at left for link to March 29, 2017 HNP Today article titled Virginia Parishioners Prepare for 10th Journey to Peru and August 30, 2017 article titled Virginia Parishioners Visit Peru on Mission Trip.
Purpose of Sister Parish Ministry
The parishioners of our Sister Parish are very resourceful people. However, they have been deprived of many of the basic resources of life that we all take for granted here in the United States. Our relationships help cultivate mutual understanding and allows them to pool their scant resources and to live in dignity. Our pledge with our Brothers and Sisters in Lima calls for us:
- To pray for one another as Sister Parishes, especially at the Sunday Eucharist
- To learn more about the life our Sister Parish community through education and visits
- To cross frontiers and barriers of geography, politics, economics, race and ethnicity
- To become more just within our families, schools, work, business and political life
- To give generously to meet the basic needs of those within our country and beyond
- To advocate for the protection of life, the defense of human dignity, the care of God’s creation and the promotion of peace
Our Sister Parishes offer opportunities for involvement within the Catholic Community of St. Francis of Assisi. The following are ways you can make a difference:
- Support our annual Special Collection to help our brothers and sisters in Lima
- Fund a specific project
- Sponsor a Catholic school student
- Provide assistance or tuition for job training
- Serve in the Sister Parish ministry at St. Francis through planning, education, publicity, communications (fluent in Spanish), or logistics and finance
Sister Parish Mission Support
From October 2007 to December 2016, fifty-four (54) St Francis parishioners have made the journey to our Sister Parishes, some of them multiple times. During that same period, our parish has contributed over $300,000 to our Sister Parishes for a wide variety of projects ranging from construction of food kitchens, chapels, schools, clinics and microloans to mention a few.
For more information on our Sister Parish in Peru, please contact Terry Danner: